Sunday, December 17, 2023

Pain and Suffering

It's inevitable that we will suffer and experience pain, isn't it? Life isn't always easy, and as children, no one really prepares us for the difficulties and pains that lie ahead. It's almost as if we're born with an innate understanding that we'll shine our light over time, but what happens to that light? How does it dim? Who lied to us?

I believe our loved ones, families, schools, friends – well-meaning people – try to shield us from hurt and suffering. But does this really serve our greater good?

What if, instead, they told us the truth from the beginning? What if they said that we would encounter physical, emotional, and spiritual pain? Would it change how we handle it? Probably not.

But what if our support systems from a young age, including family, friends, coworkers, mentors, taught us how to embrace, acknowledge, and navigate pain? What if, instead of saying, "Don't cry," or "Suck it up," we were encouraged to feel and were guided through those feelings?

Can you name someone who has NEVER suffered? I'd love to meet that person and learn how they've made it this far without experiencing any form of suffering – physical, emotional, or spiritual. Frankly, I believe that person doesn't exist.

How do I know this? Because I believe we're here to experience the full spectrum of life, and sometimes, that involves pain and suffering. We coexist with people who are hurting, angry, and frustrated. They often don't know how to cope, and sadly, sometimes, they project their pain onto others.

There are moments when I grow tired, frustrated, and overly emotional, wondering when this emotional suffering will cease. When will I stop feeling the pain of others? The truth is, it may never stop. I understand that I must continually work on my process to process these emotions, rather than getting stuck in them. It's about feeling them and allowing them to gradually diminish.

That's why I have mentors, and I may very well drive them crazy with my stories and my need to process. It's essential to acknowledge when we're wounded or have been wounded. That's when true healing can begin, rather than suppressing, bottling up, pretending it never happened, or blaming others for our suffering.

Pain is unavoidable, and suffering is a part of life.

The truth about anything is subjective, based on our beliefs. And our beliefs should be open to challenge. Were they taught, learned, ingrained, or observed? How can we cultivate our own truths, free from external influence?

Here's my answer:

  1. Remove the filters that cloud our perceptions of pain and suffering, along with their emotional attachments.
  2. Embrace and fully experience these emotions.
  3. Begin asking questions about your beliefs. Ask yourself, "Do I genuinely believe this to be true?" And seek guidance from a higher source, rather than relying solely on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment